Sunday, September 19, 2010

Coming to Terms...

Today is my birthday.

I am 52!

You may be tempted to feel sorry for me in my old age. Heaven knows I have! But as I've wrestled with this whole aging thing I have discovered some hidden benefits. I want to share a few with you today, as my birthday gift to you.

1. I am much more comfortable in my own skin. Getting older has given me the freedom to be ME. I still like to present myself as best I can, but I have come to terms with who I am and that I don’t need others approval – at least to the degree I did when I was younger.

2. I think I have mellowed out with age. While others may challenge this, I am very aware of a shift in many of my attitudes. (This will be the topic of a future blog post.)

3. Finally, most people over 40 need reading glasses to see things up close. While this can be a hassle, I have discovered an upside - the worse my eyes get, the less wrinkles I seem to have! It’s all in how you look at things!

I want to discover more joy in this phase of the journey. If you have some to share, please feel free to leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. Never have had a problem with aging. I kinda like going through the "effects of the Fall" for myself and finding out what all the fuss is about first hand. I too like the "freedom" it give you to be who you want to be and to not buy into the hype of the young. So I wear socks with sandals, so I like my gray hair, so I'm soft around the middle, so I'm a little slower and getting quirky - what you think of me is none of my business.

    The whole process is kinda fascinating to me. I guess having the eternal perspective is helpful, knowing this is a phase and it will end and ultimately in the Resurrection I will come forth a size 5.

    By the way, Old Lady, hope you had a very happy birthday surrounded by the ones you love and love you.

    ReplyDelete