Thursday, May 27, 2010

Things
at my work do not "wind down" with the end of the school year.  In fact, they get busier and busier the closer we get to that beloved last ring of the dismissal bell.
(this is not me!)

First, I make sure ALL students take these:


Grades 2 & 3 take two tests (2 sessions each), grades 4-10 have three tests (2 or 3 sessions each.)

Doesn't sound too bad, until you start multiplying everything by hundreds of students!  Fortunately, I have some fantastic teachers that do most of the administering of tests.  I just have to keep track of it all (I make the State Department of Education happy when I do this well), make sure the accommodations happen for those students who need them, and of course provide opportunities for students to make up the tests if they were absent on test days.   
Public Service Message to parents everywhere: Please, don't take your kids on vacation during state-mandated testing windows.  It creates unnecessary complications.  Thank you.

Next, I coordinate the return of thousands of these:

(at least it seems like thousands, I should count sometime. Not!)

Today I was reminded that I need to print off one of these


for each of the elementary students to take home next week 
and make an additional copy for each student's file. 
(someone else files them, thank goodness!)

The students and teachers no sooner vacate the building, than I start to fill teacher requests for:

and more

And whatever else they need for the coming year!

 And guess what?  
I might be really tired,
and my brain may feel like mush by this time of the year; 
but, overall, I really love my job.  
Being in a place that is having such positive effects 
in the lives of children
 gives me a brighter outlook on tomorrow.
Kudos to all teachers who care and who put forth the effort to make a difference!  I hope you all have a wonderful summer.  You deserve it.   


1 comment:

  1. Thats a lot of stuff to do! And I do believe it is thousands of books......haha! I hope you get a helper again this summer to help with those thousands of books and supplies! You're awesome Kathy! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete